Life as a family lawyer is never dull. In fact, part of the joy of being a family lawyer is never knowing what is going to hit you in the face when you walk through the door in the morning.
We are proud of our lawyers and their achievements. Family law is never easy or straightforward – it often impacts upon many other areas of law which require a good family lawyer to have a high level of skill and expertise on a broad range of issues.
Below is a snapshot of some of the examples of the types of matters that our lawyers have been involved in recently:-
- Our senior associate and accredited family law specialist, Debra Effeney, successfully brought an Application for Costs that required the other party to pay our client’s legal costs in relation to a Parenting Trial.
- This was indeed a ground breaking judgement and is the first substantive case where costs have been awarded to allow a party to have fees paid in advance to fund a parenting case.
- This often occurs in property settlement, as effectively a party is given an advance or a partial property settlement to help fund their legal fees. However, in most parenting cases, each party must bear their own costs and until Debra’s recent success, it was highly unusual for any Applications to even be made for funding in relation to Parenting Applications.
- Our special Counsel and accredited specialist, Beata Leszczuk has been involved in very complex property litigation, whereby, on behalf of her client, she is seeking Orders from the Court not to make any alteration of interest in property and to have a Discrete Hearing on the issue, before a Trial is reached. At the same time, Beata is defending Cross-Applications, whereby the other party is attempting to vest early, a Discretionary Trust (with third parties involved) and/or in the alternative, to adjourn the property proceeding until the vesting of the Trust many years in the future.
- Brett has been involved in litigation where he successfully joined third parties (including a major bank) and obtained Interlocutory Injunctions against the third parties, pursuant to the Family Law Act and Accrued Jurisdiction of the Family Court. At the same time, Brett was able to negotiate a deal with the bank for his client to be released from guarantees.
- Joe has successfully settled a number of high profile property matters at Mediation and has also successfully drafted a number of complex Binding Financial Agreements (or Pre-Nuptial Agreements to protect client’s assets moving into second relationships, with substantial assets to protect).