Joe is an Accredited Family Law Specialist. He is considered to be one of Brisbane’s top solicitors practising exclusively in Family Law. Joe has been consistently named as a leading family lawyer in Queensland by the Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession. He was invited by the Queensland Law Society to be a member of the Family Law Specialist Accreditation Advisory Committee that assesses candidates who apply for accreditation as family law specialists. Joe was previously on the board of Directors for the Family Law Practitioners Association, after being elected to the position by his peers.
Joe has qualifications in law and accounting. Prior to his legal career, Joe worked in a Chartered Accounting Firm in the client tax services section. His accounting qualifications and expertise provide him with an advantage over most other family lawyers when dealing with more complicated financial and tax implications of property settlement matters.
Joe possesses expertise in all areas of family law from parenting matters to complex property settlements. He has particular interest and expertise in:
- Property settlements (assisted by his commercial background)
- Acting for parties who have separated from a narcissistic spouse;
- Asset protection through the preparation of prenuptial and post-nuptial financial agreements;
- Same sex Family Law Matters. Joe recently was successful in obtaining an order that his client be recognised as a parent in a same-sex lesbian relationship. He successfully litigated this matter to trial and successfully defended the trial order at appeal. Click here to read Case Summary.
- Child Support issues including Binding Child Support Agreements;
- Parenting matters and in particular the more complex Hague and relocation cases, paternity and surrogacy.
As a well-respected and recognised leading expert in many areas of Family Law, complex property matters and valuation of property Joe is often invited to present at various seminars, write papers or be interviewed on various specialist topics: some notable examples include:
- Interviews and commentary in major Australian media publications including the Australian, Courier Mail and Sunday Mail, with some examples below:
- Commentary on the issue of divorce in an article titled “Divorces get ugly for rich: Couples use Spy Tactic”
- Interviewed for article “Doing Divorce on the Cheap”
- Interviewed for article “Money Matters in Family Feuds – Careful planning can take the financial sting out of Divorce”.
Joe is able to explain difficult concepts, implement effective tactics and strategies and his proactive approach has achieved numerous positive settlement outcomes. As can be seen by some of Joe’s testimonials below, Joe has successfully assisted many clients through this difficult time in their life.
Fun Fact: Joe “The Dancing Cavalier” Healy
As a young boy Joe became enamoured with Musicals so much so that he demanded to learn tap dancing at the age of seven to emulate the skills of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. His favourite movie is the greatest musical of all time “Sing’in in the Rain”. Like Gene Kelly’s lead character Don Lockwood, Joe has one motto that he always lives by “Dignity. Always dignity”.
One of Joe’s regrets is that he gave away dance in his teenage years. He still has some soft shoe shuffle skills but believes he would have at least made the “Tap Dogs” if he had not succumbed to male teenage peer pressure. But Joe can always see the silver lining. A career with the Tap Dogs would have meant his superior family law skills would never have been realised. And Joe can still impart the wisdom of Don Lockwood on his clients as he encourages them to resolve their family law matters with “Dignity. Always dignity”.